Rented Sector

Landlords are now required to conduct electrical safety checks. If you work in the rental sector, this could be the scheme for you.  

Since July 2020, private-sector landlords have been legally required to provide electrical safety checks for new specified tenancies. Since April 2021, this has also been required for all existing specified tenancies. Landlords can either use a contractor that is listed on the PRS Register or find a competent person using the checklist in the government’s guidance for their Electrical Installation Condition Reporting.  

With government encouraging landlords to use registered businesses there are significant opportunities for electrical contractors working in this sector. Registration with the NICEIC Private Rented Sector Scheme allows your business to be listed on the Registered Competent Person Electrical website, making your business visible to landlords or their agents when they’re searching for approved electrical contractors. 

Scheme requirements


To join the NICEIC RS Scheme, you need to be registered on either the NICEIC Domestic Installer scheme or a NICEIC Approved Contractor scheme.

Other requirements

  •  Agree for your business details to be listed on the Registered Competent Person Electrical website to undertake electrical safety reports
  •  Agree to use the Electrical Safety First Best Practice Guide No. 4 (current issue) Electrical Installation Condition Reporting: Classification Codes for domestic and similar electrical installations
  •  Confirm that your business holds at least £250,000 Professional Indemnity Insurance covering Electrical Installation Condition Reporting
  •  Confirm the operatives undertaking Electrical Inspections are competent to do so (please refer to the Acceptable Qualifications in key documents)
  •  Please note that if you are a Domestic installer, additional assessment will be needed if RS is required