Domestic Unvented Hot Water Storage Systems (UVHW)

Sector Plumbing & Heating
Certification NICEIC Certification will issue a Certificate Of Competence to successful candidates.
Expiry 5 years
Assessment Information: This course is for plumbing and heating engineers who want to install Domestic Hot Water Storage Systems so they can join a Competent Persons Scheme allowing the self-certification of installations, or to notify the local Building Control department prior to commencing work.
The course aims to help plumbers and heating engineers who want to install Vented and Unvented Domestic Hot Water Storage Systems to comply with the appropriate Building Regulations and Standards.
There are two distinct manuals, one for England/Wales and one for Scotland, as some regulations differ north of the border.  The manual for England/Wales covers Approved Document G3, Part L1 and Part P of the Building Regulations, while the one for Scotland references Part J of the Building Standards
Contents: Learners will gain an understanding of the following areas:
  •  Regulations, standards and guidelines
  • Theory of understanding of expansion of hot water (HW)
  • Principles of HW storage
  • Design considerations
  • Components and function
  • Safety controls, discharge and integration
  • Installation of HW systems
  • Maintenance and servicing of HW systems including
  • Unvented HWS
  • Health and safety considerations
Pre- requisites: Trainees must hold either of the following:
  • NVQ Level 3/BTEC or equivalent.
  • An appropriate industry registration scheme: e.g. Gas Safe Register - ACS or OFTEC - 105E or equivalent;
  • At least two years industry experience of installation of domestic heating and hot water systems currently un-certificated skills equivalent
  • NVQ Level 3 or at least two years industry experience of design and advice services of domestic heating and hot water systems at NVQ Level 3 or equivalent
Re-Assessment On expiry of certificate, candidates are eligible to take reassessment. Previous certificates must be presented to the assessment centre as evidence of holding the initial qualification.

Candidates wishing to find a centre near to them can use the Find my Nearest Centre facility on this site.

Centres wishing to apply for approval to run the scheme should refer to the Our Assessment Centre section of the site.